Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentines Day!

I helped hand out free roses to the ladies in Sheriff Hall today. It was really fun to make so many girls smile! For some of them, it really made their day. The card on it said: "You are beautiful! God loves you and he created you with value and worth." It was such a simple message and I really pray that someday, or even today, it would mean so much more to each of them than the roses do. It was funny to see how guys would come up to us and ask for a rose to give to their girlfriends. I bet at least one guy took the tag off and pretended that he bought the rose himself :). That's okay, I can forgive him in the spirit of Valentines Day. It was also cute to see all the guys who came into the building with big bouquets to give away.

Here's what the different rose colours mean (I was wondering about that as we were handing them out):
Red roses are for love and romance.
Pink roses are for love, admiration, appreciation, and gratitude.
Yellow roses are for friendship, joy, and to say "get well".
White roses are for purity, innocence, weddings, sympathy, and spirituality.
Orange roses are for desire, passion, and enthusiasm.
Lavender Roses are for enchantment, wonder, and love at first sight.

My final thoughts on Valentines Day:
1. I support it, though I don't think you should have to spend a lot of money on extravagant gifts.
2. I think that chocolate is a nice addition to a gift, but not a big box of chocolates. You don't want either person to feel fat after feeling compelled to eat a lot of chocolate because it's in front of him or her. I have very little self-control when it comes to chocolate.
3. I don't know if I think that the best type of flowers to receive on Valentines Day are roses. Roses, or a single rose, would be nice for the first couple Valentines Days in a relationship. I'd like to think that I would want to spice it up with another kind of flower after awhile...

1 comment:

deb said...

ah! so enlightening with the colours of roses. I really enjoyed giving out roses all day too. it was the highlight of the week I think.