Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Bus Rider Diaries

1. The Smell
I smelled a faint, yet funny smell this morning. I looked around to see who it was coming from. Obviously, it was not me who was committing the olfactory crime against the bus population at large. After careful investigation, it was me. Rather my jean jacket. Since it's been so warm out, I started wearing my fall/spring jacket today without a care in the world. The jacket in question hadn't been washed since I wore it in the fall. Last year. I smelled like a skunk. Literally. It was a mild mix of moth balls and skunk. We don't have a skunk or moth balls in our closet, so it was kind of a mystery.

A guy on my bus this afternoon also had a problem with a smelly coat. His smelled like old, musty beer. The thing is, I like the smell of beer (but not the taste of it). However, this was just wrong. Plus, it was 10 times more potent than my gentle skunkish smell. I was getting a buzz just sitting behind him. It was like I really wanted to smell the jacket, but I really didn't want to smell the jacket... Anyways. There was only one reason for his jacket to smell so badly. Someone notices if the jacket they wear smells that terrible and he or she washes it. He did not have the sniffles or any other sign of a cold, so he could smell it, though he was probably used to it by then. It was not his drinking jacket because it was the middle of the afternoon and he was heading toward Sackville.

He made the same mistake I did! We both, in the midst of the excitement that comes with warm weather, wore our fall jackets for the first time today without washing them first! It could happen to anyone. Surely, this exact same thing has happened to many, many people in the last couple days. I would just like to take this time to recommend that everyone wash their light jackets before they do something impetuous like wearing them. At least give a thorough smell test, preferably in a location with little or no air circulation. You may be surprised with what you smell.

2. The Noise
I was minding my own business and listening to my mp3 player when my music was overpowered by someone elses. The back of the bus was filled with some loud rock music that some singer was yelling along to. My brother says that the genre of music is actually called Screamo. Even if a Christian band makes this kind of music, your parents object to it because they say that there is no way that it can be edifying and worshipful. I suddenly got the urge to crank up my music for two reasons. The first reason was because I wanted to hear my own music. The second reason was because I wanted to provide the other bus riders who weren't wearing headphones an alternative music choice. Something more inspirational, like the Pussycat Dolls. It was my little way of giving back to my fellow bus takers. I also thought it might make up for some of my smelliness.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you honestly just say "inspirational" and "the pussycat dolls" in the same sentence? That has got to be the saddest thing I've heard all day. Well, actually it's pretty close to some girl asking me to donate money to a lesbian group.... Let's call it a close tie.

Jess said...

I was being sarcastic. Though I like one or two of their songs, I wouldn't use the word "inspirational" as a word to seriously describe them. Come on, read between the lines!

Jess said...

Maybe you should wear a t-shirt that says "I don't support the homosexual cause" so that doesn't happen again.

Then you wouldn't be sad that you were approached because the Lesbian group needs money just like every other group, charity, and society on campus.

(also sarcastic)

Megha said...

Why would someone approaching you asking for a donation be sad?
Sexual orientation is irrelevent. Have you ever went door-to-door fundraising for a missions trip? How is that any different?

She obviously knew you weren't a lesbian, but she asked for a donation anyway, hoping that you might at least be sympathetic - which it sounds like you really weren't.

When we do fundraising for a charity through INDISA, we ask EVERYONE for a donation, not just brown people. Same goes for any missions trip or similar event (when you go door-to-door the first thing you ask isn't "Are you a Christian? Because if you are...").

Also, what exactly was this "lesbian group" you were asked to donate to. You make it sound like it's a whole society of lesbian women who are out there soliciting money just so they can go on in their lesbian existence.

Chances are there probably was a worthy cause behind it all. Not just a "lesbian girl" trying to corrupt our straight-laced wholesome boys with her "lesbian group" solicitation. The ultimate slap in your face - taking money from a straight man and giving it to a "lesbian group"...hmmm...I wonder if they call themselves "The Lesbian Society"...

By the way, did you know that police use the same word ("solicitation") to describe both people who fundraise for missions trips AND prostitutes?

Megha said...

btw, can we all try to be a little more respectful of others? people don't say things like "dude, yesterday some lady from the alzheimer's group asked me for money". AND even if that did happen, no one would call it "sad". So, can we NOT refer to other people with such a condescending tone?

Anonymous said...

What was sad was not who was asking, but they way in which I was asked, and then the way she reacted when I declined. It was like I was expected to donate, and it was an insult when I didn't. And no, I wasn't not donating because of the sexual orientation of the group. I also don't donate to school groups, sports teams, or wildlife organizations. Also, no I have never gone door to door "soliciting" for money for a missions trip, because I have never gone on a missions trip.

I'd like to announce once and for all just so there is no confusion: I don't hate lesbians, prostitutes, or the pussycat dolls. There. I've said it. I hope clarity has been achieved.

Anonymous said...

maybe we're all just a little tired cause it's march? just a thought....
maybe some breathing exercises would do us all some good? just another thought....
maybe trent's comment wasn't meant to start a fight? just a third thought....

Jess said...

Thank you anonymous, for your patronizing and almost condescending depiction of your thoughts. It helps.

Megha said...

let's not trivialize this. if we were fighting about the pussycat dolls, i would be the first one to say "simmer down children", but we're not. we're arguing about the callous way certain people can refer to other humans.

amarea said...

Actually, the term "lesbian" is not callous. It's the correct way to refer to women of that lifestyle. However, that was a completely inappropriate thing to say. If you want to think it, that's your business, but stuff like that doesn't need to be verbalized, especially on someone's blog.

Anonymous said...

What is the world did I say that was inappropriate? I was bugged by the way that a person acted when I declined to donate money to their organization. I thought it was sad that someone could get upset with me simply because I didn't want to give them my money. That was it. I don't know what the problem with this is.

Megha said...

I know using the term lesbian isn't inappropriate. it's the term "lesbian group" and the flippant way trent used it.

trent, what's inappropriate is that you think someone asking you to donate money is sad, and secondly that you labelled a society "a lesbian group". They have a name, and I seriously doubt that it's that.

Also the fact that thought that someone asking you to donate to a charity was on the exact same playing field as Jessie's scarcasm when refering to the Pussycat Dolls as inspirational music.

I really don't think you would have written that first comment if the group you were asked to donate to was a sports team or the salvation army or similar.

Anonymous said...

I would have written it about a sports team or the salvation army or my own church if their reaction had been the same when I declined. I would like to stress once again that the part that was sad was NOT the fact that I was asked. People ask me for money all the time, and I don't think it's sad The sad part was the reaction when I declined. And yes, the group had a name, and no I don't remember what it was. I probably could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I had just written "a group". I doubt we would be having this much or a reaction if I had written "a group" or "a lumberjack group" or "the higher pay for dal profs group".