Friday, March 31, 2006

Weekend = Work

It was nice that I enjoyed last weekend, cause this weekend is packed with work things. Friday night is lifeguarding at the pool. Saturday is an all-day inservice (and lifeguard competition) at the pool. Sunday morning is my beaches screening. Hum. I think I will just wear my bathing suit the entire weekend and not take it off until Sunday afternoon-just to save time. While the topic is the weekend: Vote for Megha! She will always be the Vice President of INDISA in my heart.

For this summer, I applied only to 2 beaches for my 5th year working with HRM Beaches : Kinsmen and Silversides. I picked these two, not because they are slow beaches ;), but because I can bike to them. I'm finally going for Beach Captain. Here are the stats of each:

Kinsmen Beach
First Lake, Lower Sackville
  • farther away
  • will close halfway through the summer (with at least 2 weeks of the summer sitting on the beach-telling people not to go in the water)
  • swimmers itch
  • a real beach with sand
  • people visit more in Sackville
  • there is a rec. center right there (aka. a shield from the rain and a washroom to use)
  • it just seems like more fun to me

Silversides Beach
Lake William, Waverley

  • closer
  • will stay open all summer (and lessons have really good registration)
  • really cold
  • a dock on a hill
  • the people who come are really nice, I hear (they bring gifts)
  • it is a semi-private beach so you have to deal with people paying
  • there is zero shelter in case of rain
  • two hyphenated words: porto-pottie
  • the days seem to be really long

After careful consideration, I put the 1 by Silversides and the 2 beside Kinsmen on my application. We'll see what happens. In closing, has anyone seen my second wind...because it's been MIA for awhile...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so you would rather work the summer at Kinsmen but then on your form you put 1 (I assume, meaning first pick) for Williams? . . Sarah

Jess said...

Yeah, I picked Silversides because it's stable (for the last 2 weeks of the summer at Kinsmen you have to get yourself around to all these other HRM beaches to get your hours) and the hours start earlier because of swim lessons.