my very special spot to talk about a bunch of things in my life that 1. are true 2. matter to me, and 3. aren't so personal that they shouldn't be on the internet
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Not Friends Anymore
I've been thinking back to what life was like for me around this time last year. Most things are the same, but a couple of them have changed. Certain relationships that I have are so different now then they were a year ago. When I think about some friendships that have grown apart for me over the years, it really doesn't make me sad. Other ones I really miss right now, but I'm not totally sure why. I miss the ones that have no hope of being close again because things have just changed. I think that the part that is hard is the fact that you know that you were really close with someone, now you aren't, and you will never be again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Never say never, Jessie! you can become closer to someone again just like you can drift apart from someone. anything can happen! for now, just be thankful for what you have instead of mulling over what you've lost.
one thing I can say is that deep friendships *that last* are not just the result of fun and meaningful things that happen between two people because they share common interests or associations and a common geographical location - that's how they almost always begin. They end when at least one side gives up maintaining the relationship, but they continue and put roots down (ensuring a long relationship to come) when both sides can maintain a sincere interest in each other's lives, even though it's harder because you're each experiencing new things that the other person isn't sharing in . . . of course we can't very well do this for every friend in our life as we move on to different things (although email is often the burden that we should because we technically can), but, I can say, it seems astonishingly easy for some friendships (that have a long and varied history) to die in a very short time. *Note: this is sincerely not directed at our relationships just because I'm sharing these thoughts while I'm over here - it's just, you do realize a lot about friendships when you live so far away away for a five months, with seven months ahead. And, to be honest, I do often wonder what will happen to my part of our gang after this year and next! It's kind of an awkward thought to put out there (so publicly), but it's something that's been on my mind. All I can say now is . . . can we PLEASE try to go to Quarterdeck this summer!?
I like your perspectives, Sarah.
We've gotta all go away together next summer, hopefully we can make it to Quarterdeck. It would be great to go back!
why don't we work out how much it would cost us, and then divide that by 9-odd months (to start setting aside), so we can ensure that we can go!? To take a wild stab at what might have to be put away from December to August… $20, or $25 to take care of even that extra gas and food bit. Do you think you can do twenty dollars a month girls? Honestly write back and let's see if it's possible
Lets talk about this over email.
Post a Comment