Friday, January 26, 2007

Easy, Breezy, Beautiful

I wished I was blind today. Actually, I still do. There was a guy on Oprah today who has been blind from birth and he said that being blind has given him an ability, not a disability. He gets to get to know people on the inside without judging them at all by their physical appearance.

I wish I could do that! He wholeheartedly doesn't care if someone is beautiful or ugly on the outside because he can't see what someones hair looks like, if they have a clear complexion, or how nice their clothes are. I really wish that I could interact with people without ever thinking about what they look like. Why does this world put so much emphasis on being beautiful?! Who cares if you are pretty or not? It doesn't have anything to do with the person you really are. It's so hard not to compare yourself to other people sometimes. It's hard for me. Wouldn't it be amazing to never think a thought like, "I wish I was as pretty as she is"? Even though I hate that women are told that they need to be beautiful to be happy, it makes me happy when someone tells me I look pretty. And so I will continue to try to look nice.

2 comments:

SLH said...

AMEN!

ps. Jessie, I think you are beautiful.

Megha said...

sometimes I wish the whole world was blind. Think of how much less complicated and stressful life would be. Not only would people not be judged on beauty, but also racism wouldn't exist.

that said, i really do value my sense of sight and i hope nothing happens to it :)

and yes jessie, you are beautiful :)