When I was in elementary school, particularly in grade 5, I had gender-equality issues. One day, I refused to participate in gym class because I thought that my gym teacher had implied that boys are better at certain aspects of sports than girls are. I had to go to the vice president's office and she told me that Mr Mayo did not intend to be chauvinistic. I really liked the sound of that word, and I made a mental note to use it in further protests. Around that time, this little ditty that was on the inside cover of the first Spice Girls CD became my mantra. Me and my friends would march down the halls at school and recite it."Wonderwoman. This Vibe is Contagious. Feel it, Catch it. It's a Girl's World. She Who Dares Wins. It's a Girl Thang. Come On Baby. The Spice Squad Are Here. What Are You Looking At Boy? Can You Handle a Spice Girl? Silence is Golden But Shouting Is Fun. Freedom Fighters The Future Is Female. Spice Revolution."
Now, I'm quite different. I have no problem admitting that men are stronger than women. Generally, guys are physically stronger and faster. It's true and that's totally ok with me. I was reminded of my acceptance of this fact when I happily stepped back and let Morgan's dad and his male co-worker carry Morgan's mother of a couch up three flights of stairs on Saturday. Now, I wholeheartedly capitalize on my physical weakness whenever I can.
I'm sorry, Spice Girls. Oh, and I'm sorry, Mr. Mayo-wherever you are. I will never call you Mr. Mayonnaise again...starting now.
1 comment:
LOL! wow, I think your gender equality activism in grade 5 gym totally trumps my grade 7 accent story. Seriously, you win, that was amazing. 9 year-old jessie is my hero! And I do agree with you. we should embrace our differences, not endeveour to be the same as men. Being feminine doesn't mean you are giving up power or anything. There's nothing wrong with it!
Post a Comment