Thursday, August 02, 2007

Girls Rule...

I noticed a 7 year old girl carrying a baby doll at the beach the other day. This is normal. Girls always play with dolls. I had dolls when I was younger and I loved them. I took care of them. Cabbage Patch dolls. Water babies. Can't get much better. However, something hit me. By giving girls pretend babies, our society trains girls to be mothers as soon as they are old enough to know that babies need to be taken care of. In this case, at the age of 7. Yikes.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Gotta love gender typing! Three years of intense child development education has twisted my brain on this subject to the point that I no longer know how to reconcile my faith based beliefs with all the hard core research findings on gender socialization. I thought I knew everything until I opened that first textbook...someone knew what they were doing when they decided to brainwash thousands of 20 somethings by sitting them in classrooms for 4 years with only 18 years of lving under their belts!

Jess said...

What kind of things about gender socialization do they teach you which conflict with your beliefs?