Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Commute

Jog to bus stop...running late.
Wait 6 minutes.
See bus.
Irrationally worry that the bus won’t stop for me.
Bus stops.
Standing room only.
Biker (on a bicycle) changes lanes and cuts the bus off.
Bus slams on brakes.
Man comments that even he isn’t stupid enough to do something like that.
No one answers.
People leave the bus.
Sit.
Old man gets on the bus.
Stand. Near the back doors. No one else is standing...and I don’t mind.
2 large women get on the bus. They sandwich me. As if there is nowhere else to stand. We are the only 3 people standing on the bus. Their faces were inches from my head.
I say something smart like, “Uhh, I think...I’ll...stand back there” and quickly move out of the Jessie sandwich and stand in the back of the bus.
People leave the bus.
I eventually sit.
Watch big lady #1 sit between 2 people in the back of the bus. It’s like Santa fitting down a chimney...somehow, against reason, it happens successfully.
A little kid tells his dad that he wants to be a car when he grows up. Wait, a truck. A truck that delivers dog food.
The women in the plaid skirt adjusts her argyle plaid socks (of a different pattern, not complimentary).
My stop.

Walk down Quinpool.
See a spit wad on the sidewalk the size of my hand (fingers included).
See a pylon on top of a “no U turn” sign.
I am greeted “Good morning” by the electronic scrolling sign on Killam Properties. I read further to see that you can win free laundry and apartment cleaning service on their website.

Stop at Tim’s.
Pay for my coffee (under 2$) with debit because I can’t find my toonie.

Leave Tim’s.
A construction worker looks me up and down.
I wonder if I still have it...or if he was just looking at my coffee.
Feel a poop coming on. 4 blocks left to go.
Nope, just gas.
Poop?
Gas.

Arrive at work.
Can’t find my keys in my purse.
Find keys.
Enter Classic.

Work day begins. Longest Commute ever.

No comments: